San Jose, CA asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Intellectual Property for California

Q: When was taking someone’s permissions and rights legal? Intellectual Property ?

Ex removes my rights and controls my devices. Courts care about financial loss. Programming battle while court is clueless. He’s hacked through me into others

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Taking someone's permissions and rights without their consent is generally not legal in California, regardless of whether it relates to intellectual property or any other type of property. Intellectual property rights are protected by federal and state law, and the unauthorized use or control of someone else's intellectual property can result in civil and even criminal penalties.

If your ex has taken control of your devices and removed your rights without your consent, you may have legal options available to you. You may be able to seek a restraining order, file a civil lawsuit for damages, or even file a criminal complaint if your ex's actions rise to the level of a criminal offense.

It's important to note that the court's focus on financial loss does not mean that other types of harm, such as emotional distress or loss of privacy, are not also considered. If your ex's actions have caused you harm beyond just financial loss, you may be able to seek compensation for those damages as well.

If you believe that your ex has hacked into your devices and gained unauthorized access to your personal information or the personal information of others, you should report this to law enforcement. Hacking is a criminal offense in California and can result in serious consequences, including fines and imprisonment.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.