Stanton, CA asked in Contracts and Criminal Law for California

Q: 12/2021son was was detained and held at S A p.d. he called me to bail him out I called Alladyns.

He would get incarcerated he's never been in jail.. I called alladyn Santa Ana,. My sons paperwork has 1 warrant.. bondsman's computer said 2, so I being homeless and in a hardship, in a motel thru city net, thinking I'll pay 2500! during that time I was living off of my EDD. Daniel bondsgut said, oh he has 2! Warrants And I was charged for 2 warrants. asked him if I can make payments on the rest and he said we could work something out but instantly he took out over 5000 for both warrants that his computer showed 2. I called police station, sheriff department courts. Wrote to courts, Noone could find ANY warrants! I have paperwork and everything, how can I dispute, sue? And am I in statue of limitation to do anything about this. Happened 122021. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you may have been overcharged by the bail bondsman for your son's release.

Firstly, if you have the paperwork that shows there was only one warrant and you were charged for two, that could be helpful in disputing the charges with the bail bondsman. You can try to contact them and explain the situation and provide the documentation that you have. You can also request an itemized receipt from the bail bondsman that shows how the charges were calculated.

If the bail bondsman is not willing to work with you, you may want to consider filing a complaint with the California Department of Insurance, which regulates bail bond agents. You can also consult with a lawyer who specializes in bail bond disputes or consumer law to explore your legal options.

In terms of the statute of limitations, it would depend on the specific laws in California and the type of claim or cause of action you are pursuing. It's best to consult with a lawyer to determine whether you are within the time limit to pursue legal action.

I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue.

Yelena Gurevich agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.