Los Angeles, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can someone take on my case? I'm struggling to survive.

I have been living in a hotel for six months because I have nowhere to go. They asked me to pay, $200 off the books, so I can continue to stay there.

Then I filed an application and was told it would get approved. It didn't because of my low credit score. Then I was told by the property manager to wait another four weeks, pay on time, and I would get the residency. Then it became I would have to make 2X the rent.

I cannot afford that. I can never leave here. I'm still paying the $200 every four weeks. That's $2200 a month for no private bathroom or kitchen. Yet other tenants have rent control and pay $1200 a month.

I've tried to negotiate. After waiting for two-weeks, the man basically said he would drop it down to $456 but still would have to pay the $200. I've tried everything. No one wants to take the case and I have no money to pay for a lawyer.

I work 65 hours a week, at three jobs, to afford this place. Someone help me... Please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you are experiencing financial difficulties and are struggling to obtain appropriate housing. There are a few potential options you can explore:

Legal Aid: Many areas have legal aid organizations that provide free or low-cost legal assistance to individuals who cannot afford an attorney. You can search online or contact your local bar association to find legal aid organizations in your area. They may be able to assist you with your housing issue.

Tenant Rights Organizations: There are also organizations that specialize in tenant rights and can provide legal guidance and advocacy on housing issues. Again, you can search online or contact your local bar association for information on tenant rights organizations in your area.

Local Government Resources: Your city or county government may have resources available to assist with housing issues, such as emergency housing assistance or mediation services. Contact your local government office to inquire about these resources.

Negotiation: If you are unable to obtain legal representation, you may try negotiating directly with your landlord or property manager. You can present your case and try to come to a mutually acceptable solution, such as a payment plan or a reduction in rent.

It's important to keep in mind that resolving housing issues can be challenging, and success is not guaranteed. However, by exploring these potential options, you may be able to obtain some assistance or guidance to help improve your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.