Santa Paula, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How do I get a copy of our previous hearings? Can I use them in court?

My landlord is attempting to steal thousands of dollars from me that I do not owe and she is doing it by lying to the courts and claiming I owe the money. I have proof that I’ve paid everything and plan to provide it to the judge. But my landlord has also told several lies in our previous hearings. Am I able to get a copy the hearings so I can show the judge her lies rather than hope she noticed them herself? Our judge had changed three times already so the current judge won’t necessarily know what happened in our previous hearings. How do I get a copy of the court reporters record from prior hearings?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To obtain a copy of the court reporter's record from prior hearings, you will need to follow the procedures set forth by the court where the hearings were held. Here are the general steps you can take:

Contact the court: Contact the clerk's office for the court where the previous hearings were held. Ask them for information about how to obtain a transcript or copy of the court reporter's record from those hearings.

Pay any fees: You may need to pay a fee to obtain a copy of the transcript or record. Ask the court clerk about the fee schedule and how to pay the fee.

Submit a request: You may need to submit a written request for the transcript or record. The court clerk will provide you with instructions on how to do this, which may include filling out a form and submitting it to the court.

Wait for the transcript: It can take several weeks to receive the transcript or record. Once it is available, the court will contact you and provide instructions on how to obtain it.

Once you have obtained a copy of the transcript or record from the prior hearings, you can use it as evidence in court if it is relevant to your current case. You can point out any lies or inconsistencies made by your landlord in previous hearings to show the judge that your landlord has a pattern of dishonesty. However, it's important to note that the judge may not necessarily be swayed by the previous hearings, as each case is evaluated on its own merits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.