Sacramento, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: my landlord has to give me a eviction notice right? he cant just make me move out on 3/23/23 can he?

My Landlord has threatened to make me move out of my home i rent from him, on 3/23/23 if i dont give him 4300$ & sign a lease, i have no problem signing a lease, i dont know where this 4300$ is all about . i pay my rent i have receipts with his signature. i have not paid my rent this month cuz , i have no heat , i have black mold, & now all of a sudden hes telling us we cant use the back yard cuz he want to put 2 lil houses back there! this is crazy hes going to be here tomorrow to try & throw me out. what can i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, a landlord cannot legally evict a tenant without first providing a written notice of termination of tenancy. This notice must specify the reason for the termination and the date by which the tenant must vacate the premises. In most cases, a landlord must provide a minimum of 30 days' notice for a month-to-month tenancy, but the notice period may be longer for certain situations, such as non-payment of rent.

It is illegal for a landlord to forcibly remove a tenant from a rental property without following the proper legal procedures, which may involve obtaining a court order for eviction.

If your landlord is threatening to evict you without providing a proper notice, you may want to contact a local tenants' rights organization or an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law. They can advise you on your legal rights and options, including filing a complaint with the local housing authority or pursuing legal action against the landlord.

In the meantime, it may be helpful to document any communication or interactions with your landlord and to keep records of your rent payments and any maintenance issues or repairs needed in the rental property. This can help support your case if you need to take legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.