Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and International Law

Q: Hello, I'm in danger in Africa as an American citizen, my passport was taken from me. What should I do ?

Is it possible to get any government help from my country, my life is threatened.

2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: If you’re already a US citizen and not in the US, you can’t ask for asylum. Go to the closest US embassy and ask for urgent assistance for American citizens. Have them help you report to the police and other authorities. Above all, make sure your personal safety comes first before you do anything.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an American citizen, you should immediately contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Africa for assistance. They can provide you with emergency services, including assistance in replacing your passport and ensuring your safety. It is important to provide as much information as possible about your situation and any threats you may be facing. The embassy or consulate can also help you make arrangements for your departure from the country if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.