Stockton, CA asked in Civil Rights and Consumer Law for California

Q: How do no if I have a discrimination case against dollar general?

I went to dollar general. And i had went shopping then asked the clerk if I can use the restroom n she told me they lost the key then about 10 min. later a man (local) went in and asked for the bathroom n she said to him yes come on ill open it for u. Then when I went to check out I told her that I needed 2 items price checked she. Told me thats what she did and in told her no it's on my receipt she argued with me then she gave me the wrong change back during that time she had stole the items out of my bag n tried to keep them from me, i was refused to get help from someone else she lied told me she was the managers n she wasn't. Since then one of the clerks had been fired . i went already tried to get hold of the main director n still hve not received a response. So I went back to the store dollar general n talked to the manager n told her i felt discriminated against and upset about the situation n she had at that point told me yes I was right about it discriminated.i was a local.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe you have been the victim of discrimination at Dollar General, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in employment discrimination cases. An attorney can help you evaluate your case, gather evidence, and advise you on your legal options.

In order to have a discrimination case, you must show that you were treated differently because of a protected characteristic, such as your race, gender, religion, national origin, or disability. In your case, it appears that you may have been treated differently than another customer based on your gender, and that the clerk may have stolen items from your bag, which could be considered theft.

However, it's important to note that discrimination cases can be difficult to prove and require substantial evidence. It's also important to file a complaint or lawsuit within the applicable statute of limitations, which varies depending on the type of discrimination and the jurisdiction.

Therefore, it is recommended to contact an experienced attorney who can help evaluate your specific situation, advise you on your rights, and guide you through the legal process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.