Moultrie, GA asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: What can I do when my assigned criminal lawyer will not do her job and I cannot file? Grievance already filed.

If my attorney will not file actions and act on information I have given her that is crucial to my defense and if I cannot file in my own behalf then what are my options to bring my attorney's incompetence and neglect to the attention of the judge and the court and assure myself a fair and proper defense? I have already filed a grievance but do not have time to wait on the results. The information I have given her is all legal and pertinent. She has even admitted it to me, she just won't take the time to do her job properly. She has too many assigned cases.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can fire your current attorney and 1) ask the court to reassign your case to a new attorney if you are indigent, 2) hire a new attorney on your own, or 3) tell the court you want to represent yourself (which I advise against if the charges against you are not relatively minor misdemeanors)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.