Austin, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: Travis County has increased my land value for my home from $30000 to $300000. 900% increase

I've done searches in TCAD in my neighborhood and I see bigger lots in gated community, some with lake view have not been increased and in some instances have gone down. I can put the document together. I just need someone to represent me in my protest.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The increase you posted is unbelievable!

In Travis County you have a deadline of May 15, 2023, to protest and challenge your appraised value and taxable values. You can do it yourself or hire a lawyer like myself or other professional. The process is not very long and the county does meet with you to discuss and sometimes settle your protest. But you need to know that the government wants as much as they can get out of you.

If you added square footage to your house or have built other structures or a pool on your property, the appraised value does increase. You can also get decreases for different reasons, including veteran status, age, and other reasons. Please do not miss the deadline. Get moving on it to save money and hassle.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is not unheard of for someone to accidentally add an extra zero. This could definitely be a typo.

Our government workers are good, but not perfect.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.