Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Small Claims

Q: A friend wanted to store a car at my place instead of paying for storage and has refused to pay and is now in rehab

Said friend wanted to store a car at my place instead of paying for a storage shed, and agreed to pay me for doing it, now he's gone to rehab, hasn't paid me for weeks and the person he arranged to pay me while he was gone is ignoring any efforts I make to contact her and sort it out. Department of Housing is already on my case about it being on my lawn. What are my legal options? The car isn't registered and keys cannot be located. I am considering selling the car to a scrap dealer

1 Lawyer Answer

A: In Texas, you can apply for a Certificate of Authority to dispose of the vehicle. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/

The DMV will give notice to the owner whose name appears on the vehicle registration, along with any lienholder. After 20 days pass, the Certificate of Authority will be issued allowing you to dispose of the vehicle.

But be very careful. If you have an agreement to allow the owner to store the vehicle on your property, the terms of that agreement will govern whether you are legally liable to the owner for improper disposition of the vehicle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.