Glassboro, NJ asked in Family Law and Divorce for New Jersey

Q: Son 19 goes to trade school and works part time ex wants to stop paying. Is this allowed in nj?

Divorce decree says we must share in post secondary costs.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Start off with the presumption that no she cannot stop paying but I would send her an email, quoting from the terms of your agreement that both of you are obligated to share your son's college/trade school costs and ask her how or why she thinks that she should not have to continue paying in light of his full-time attendance. I would also schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney to review the status of your son's attendance at trade school to make sure that you are on solid ground and if needed, for him to file an enforcement application with the court.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: What you need to do is retain an experienced matrimonial attorney, since this child is NOT emaciated. College is not for everyone. A trade school is a valid form of post high school education, as long as it is a legitimate trade school, not some fraudulent operation like Trump University or DeVry. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.