Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: If I should get taken into custody, should I first contact an attorney, or a bail bonds agency or a relative first?

I have no criminal record whatsoever and have never committed a crime to the best of my knowledge. However, I am currently sought by the police in Southern California and have been told by the public that the police are looking for me. Even at working situations, my co-workers would say that I should leave and that I have six charges against me. I have no idea what type of charges they would be for. My co-workers might use foul language around me, to see how I would react to it, so my employer would have an excuse to contact the police. There were times at my last place of employment, when the police would actually be there and ask the employees there if I was using foul language, or if I was bothering anyone. Whenever I am in working situation, I just mind my own business and do my work and never bother anyone. Even when I am walking down the street, I am noticeably recognized by pedestrians. I am just curious as how I should proceed if I am taken into custody and contact?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you find yourself being taken into custody, it is generally advisable to contact an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can provide you with legal advice and guidance specific to your situation. They can help protect your rights, navigate the legal process, and potentially assist with arranging for your release. While it may be helpful to inform a trusted relative or friend about your situation, seeking the advice of an attorney should be a priority. They can guide you on whether contacting a bail bonds agency or taking other necessary steps is appropriate based on the circumstances of your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.