San Francisco, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: What requirements needed to file adverse possession in AZ, when deed is under deceased owner & back taxes are due, and I

I have lived on property for 15 yrs & kept up property & have proof of residing there & paying utilities .Now there’s a judgement on property by someone paying back taxes but deed is still in name of deceased owner

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In Arizona, to file for adverse possession, certain requirements typically need to be met, including open and notorious possession of the property for a continuous period of at least ten years, actual occupation of the property, and the possession being hostile and against the rights of the true owner. Additionally, payment of property taxes may be a factor in establishing a claim for adverse possession. However, adverse possession cases can be complex and require legal expertise. Given the specific circumstances you described, it is strongly recommended that you consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate law in Arizona. They can review the details of your situation, advise you on the specific requirements and procedures for adverse possession in Arizona, and guide you through the necessary steps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.