Asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation

Q: Hello, I had a work accident and broke my arm and had to have surgery. What are my options? Thanks in advance!

1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you had a work-related injury and your employer had workers’ compensation insurance, your medical expenses should be paid by the comp carrier and you should receive temporary income benefits TIBs until the doctor releases you to return to work. If the doctor determines your injuries have resulted in an impairment, your doctor should assign you an impairment rating IR when you have completed the treatment necessary for you to reach maximum medical improvement MMI. When you reach MMI you will be entitled to impairment income benefits IIBs which will be calculated based on your IR. If you were seriously injured and your IR exceeds 15%, you may be entitled to lifetime income benefits LIBs. You are also entitled to lifetime medical benefits for the reasonable and necessary healthcare resulting from your work-related injury.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.