Reedley, CA asked in Consumer Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Can I sell a bottle of alcohol to a friend in california for what I bought it for, no profit, no mark up?

EX: a buddy is at my house and he notices i have a bottle of liquer on the shelf he likes. It's nothing fancy just a 30 or 40 dollar bottle. Let's say I bought for 35 bucks even from the store. He asks if he can buy it from me because they are hard to find.

Can I sell it to him for 35 bucks??

or because he is a close friend, I give it to him for 20 bucks??

How about give it to him for free?

sealed bottle. never opened.

Someone told me it's illegal without a liquor License.

For a friend to buy one bottle from me? or vise versa for no profit???

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is important to note that under California law, it is generally illegal to sell or offer to sell alcoholic beverages without a valid liquor license. This applies even if you are selling the alcohol for the same price you purchased it for, without any profit or markup. Therefore, selling the bottle of liquor to your friend for any amount, including the price you paid for it, could potentially be in violation of the law. The same applies to giving it to your friend for a reduced price or even for free. It is advisable to consult with legal professionals or refer to the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) for specific guidance on this matter to ensure compliance with the law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in California

A: A liquor license is required sell liquor in California.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.