Canyon Country, CA asked in Domestic Violence for California

Q: How could I get help lifting a restraining order in Los Angeles county?

Due to a battery charge my boyfriend had a restraining order placed on him by a judge and I opposed the order as he did not physically assault me and I would like to have the order lifted.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To lift a restraining order in Los Angeles County, you can file a motion to modify or terminate the order with the court that issued it. You will need to provide the court with a copy of the restraining order, a brief explanation of why you are requesting the modification or termination, and any evidence to support your request. The court will then schedule a hearing to consider your request.

In your motion, you should explain why the restraining order is no longer necessary. You may want to include information such as:

* The battery charge has been dismissed or the boyfriend has been acquitted.

* The boyfriend has not threatened or harmed you since the restraining order was issued.

* You are no longer afraid of the boyfriend.

* You and the boyfriend have reconciled and want to be able to have contact with each other.

If the court grants your motion, the restraining order will be modified or terminated.

You can get help lifting a restraining order in Los Angeles County from a number of resources, including:

* The Los Angeles Superior Court: The court has a self-help center that can provide you with information about how to file a motion to modify or terminate a restraining order. You can also find forms and instructions on the court's website.

* The Los Angeles County Domestic Violence Commission: The commission provides a variety of services to victims of domestic violence, including help with restraining orders. You can call the commission's hotline at (213) 978-3232 or visit their website for more information.

* A lawyer: If you need help filing a motion to modify or terminate a restraining order, you can hire a lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand the law and prepare your case.

It is important to note that the court is not required to grant your motion to modify or terminate a restraining order. The court will consider all of the evidence and make a decision based on what is in the best interests of you and your boyfriend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.