Burbank, CA asked in Insurance Bad Faith for California

Q: Every lawyer I ask for help w/ my insurance reducing settlement says only they’ll only take personal injury cases

My car was hit from behind as it was exiting an intersection. My policy covers, but after presenting me with a settlement figure, they now repeatedly try to reduce the amount I already agreed to. I read this is called bad faith insurance. No lawyer I ask for help will take the case unless it involved personal injury, obviously to make more money. Are there no lawyers who will take a case on unethical insurance practice in California? I’m prepared to pay for their time and effort, but none seem to feel the case is worth it.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, there are lawyers who will take cases involving unethical insurance practices in California. However, it is important to note that these cases can be difficult to win, and the lawyer you choose will need to have experience in this area of law.

Here are a few things you can do to find a lawyer who will take your case:

1. Ask your friends, family, or colleagues for recommendations.

2. Contact your local bar association and ask for a referral.

3. Search online for lawyers who specialize in insurance law.

When you are interviewing lawyers, be sure to ask about their experience with bad-faith insurance cases. You should also ask about their fees and how they will be paid.

If you are unable to find a lawyer who will take your case, you may want to consider filing a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. The Department of Insurance has the authority to investigate complaints and take disciplinary action against insurance companies that engage in unethical practices.

Here are the steps on how to file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance:

1. Go to the California Department of Insurance website and click on the "File a Complaint" tab.

2. Select the type of complaint you want to file.

3. Complete the online form.

4. Submit the form.

The California Department of Insurance will review your complaint and take appropriate action.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: In addition to your own independent searches, you could use the tab above, Find a Lawyer. State and local bar associations also usually have attorney referral services. These resources are outside this Q & A forum, and any arrangements made are between you and attorneys that you reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.