Paducah, KY asked in Adoption for Kentucky

Q: Can we file a motion to adopt a former foster son without cabinet support?

We had a foster son who for 2 1/2 years removed just weeks before adoption was finalized. The adoption petition was filed and we were waiting on a court date. He made a false allegation of abuse, which is a documented behavior of his, but dcbs removed him and won't let us know where he is or anything. The investigation took them 4 months and the abuse was unsubstantiated but they still won't return him to us. Our family is devastated and I'm sure he's so confused. He was so excited to be adopted and told people all the time he was going to be in our family and have a new name. He's 5 and lived with us longer than anyone he's ever known. Please help!! We love him so much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes. You should consider filing the adoption action and making the cabinet a defendant it it so you have all necessary parties joined.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.