Middletown, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: What is the process of getting a qualified domestic order for a mutual agreed upon release of 401k funds?

May a motion be filed expeditiously if both parties are in agreement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need a consent motion to enter a qualifying order signed by both parties, and a proposed draft qualifying order (also typically signed by both parties, a family law magistrate and a judge). You will need a lawyer to draft the consent motion and qualifying order, and will need to contact the 401K plan administrator to obtain their preferred or required language they want in the order, or they will decline to honor it. Trying to draft these motions and follow through with the process of getting them filed and executed properly, then issued in certified or exemplified form (as required by the plan administrator) and served on the correct office of the Plan administrator, can be an exercise in frustration for a non-lawyer (and even for a lawyer oftentimes).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.