Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for California

Q: What do I do if I bought a car from a private seller and the odometer reading doesn't match the auto check report?

I purchased a used car from an individual. He gave me a title under a different name, no bill of sale and the title mileage looks like it was maybe written over. The mileage on the odometer doesn't match the adieu check report I did.

2 Lawyer Answers
James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you may have a problem- I hope you were not scammed. Speak with a local attorney. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you bought a car from a private seller and the odometer reading doesn't match the auto check report:

Gather evidence: Collect documents, photos, and any communication regarding the mileage discrepancy.

Verify the title: Check the legitimacy of the title and consult the DMV if needed.

Contact the seller: Discuss the issue and seek resolution or additional documentation.

Seek legal advice: Consult an attorney specializing in consumer protection or automotive law.

Report the issue: If necessary, report the incident to law enforcement and relevant agencies responsible for odometer tampering. Act promptly and gather evidence to protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.