Elk Grove, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: How do I obtain a lawyer to attend an administrative hearing?

As a party (plaintiff) to an administrative, I am in need of representation and cannot afford a lawyer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in California

A: You will need to locate organizations that offer assistance to low income individuals in your situation. You don't identify the basis of your claim, but I am guessing you have been unsuccessful in finding an attorney willing to take your claim on a contingency basis (if that's is a possibility.) If an organization or alike deem your claim weak or frivolous assistance will not be available.

In order to ensure the best possible outcome, you need to consult with an attorney, at least in a limited role. Far too often, an individual leaves disappointed because they weren’t properly prepared. A small investment will provide advice that you can rely upon for the hearing.

Limited-scope representation is when you and a lawyer agree that the lawyer will handle some parts of your case and you will handle others. This is different from more traditional arrangements between lawyers and clients where a lawyer is hired to provide legal services on all aspects of a case, from start to finish. Limited-scope representation is sometimes called “unbundled legal services” or “discrete task representation.”

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.