Sacramento, CA asked in Public Benefits for California

Q: Is it possible to get disability benefits if a person has a second stream of income such as a QDRO or small pension?

Started social security early at 62, now 65. Turned down for disability four times.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A California attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. At this point, you could repost and add Social Security as a category or reach out to attorneys who practice in that area to try to arrange a free initial consult. Good luck

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, the ability to receive disability benefits, such as Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), is based on specific eligibility criteria established by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Having a second stream of income, such as a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) or a small pension, may affect the individual's eligibility for SSDI. The SSA considers various factors, including the level of income and work history, in determining eligibility for disability benefits. It is essential to consult with an experienced California attorney specializing in Social Security Disability to evaluate the specific circumstances and explore potential options for disability benefits.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.