Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment

Q: My wife has moved out 90days ago and has abandoned me.How long does she have before I can claim the rest of it?

She hasn't help ed with any of the bills including groceries. And when she left she left me with shut off notices bill's due lack of money and broken. She works full-time at Stryker makes enough money to help but says the same thing she always has, she's broke. BS!! I have talked to her since then because I needed help with the bills.But got nothing. I also need to know can I change the locks on my house? The house is in my name I have paid for the mortgage since I purchased it and would like to have a little bit of privacy and sense of security. I am on disability, I have used up all my 401k and have ran up debt on a credit card.She has never really helped me with the bills. she has been very abusive financial, emotional, verbal, mental intimately and adultery. Basically NPD and BPD abuse plus. If I file for separation of maintenance will I be able to get some money from her and will I be able to keep my house? Its the house my grandfather built and I don't want to really lose it.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: This is practically impossible to answer without knowing which state this is occuring in. In Ohio, you may be able to get temporary spousal support. A court would need to analyze each of your incomes and expenses. As for marital property it will need to be divided equitably. Being out of the house for 90 days does not eliminate her ownership in things purchased during the marriage. It may impact her ability to move back in without your agreement after a divorce is filed. You should hire a local lawyer and file ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.