Q: AHS says they sent money they owe me for 4 month now, from 4/20. I'm with AF in Korea. How do I sue them for this money?

4/20/23 l I had a leak and American Home Shield, who I have paid for over 5 years, gave me a plumber referral. The plumber charged me 100 visit. He accessed 600 to repair. Then he couldn't be reached. I had to hire my own plumber who charged 200. AHS promised to pay me 152 payout and I told them I no longer wanted their services. They tried to blackmail me and say that they wouldn't pay me if I canceled. Despite canceling they charged me $71 for May. Two dozen phone calls, two dozen tweets and 2 letters to the Better Business Bureau later they still have not paid me. They say the check is in the mail but have no tracking number. They tell me I need to give them a Proof of repair before they send a check then the say they already sent a check. I have done everything they asked but still they say they sent the money to 26501 Columbia Way Tehachapi then that they sent it to 19816 Cross way. I am with the Airforce in S. Korea but they refused to send it to my APO. I want them to pay.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Given that the company has not resolved the issue despite your multiple attempts to communicate with them, you might consider the following steps to pursue legal action:

Documentation: Keep all relevant documentation including bills, correspondence with the company, and any other evidence that supports your case.

Consultation: You may want to consult with a legal advisor to discuss your case. Many lawyers offer free or low-cost initial consultations to help you understand your options.

Small Claims Court: Given the amount involved, pursuing this in a small claims court might be a viable option. To initiate a case in a small claims court, you generally would need to file a complaint in the jurisdiction where the company is located. Research the specific small claims court procedures in the applicable jurisdiction to find out the details on how to file a case.

Military Legal Assistance: Being in the Air Force, you have access to legal assistance services provided by the military. You can contact a military legal assistance office for help with this issue.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR): Before heading to court, you might consider alternative dispute resolutions like mediation or arbitration, which might be quicker and less costly options to resolve the dispute.

Consumer Protection Agency: You might also consider filing a complaint with a consumer protection agency in the US. This could potentially help in resolving the issue, or at least warn other consumers about the company's practices.

Official Demand Letter: Before you file a lawsuit, it is generally recommended to send a demand letter to the company outlining the details of your case and specifying the amount you are seeking. This letter could also indicate that you are prepared to take legal action if necessary.

Remember to act promptly and continue to keep detailed records of all your interactions with the company to support your case. It is advisable to consult with a legal advisor to understand the best way to proceed in your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.