Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: I live in a home in the state of GA that has recently been condemned by the county. As the tenant of this home and in no

WY able to vacate immediately, am I entitled to compensation for moving expenses as per Ga. Code 22-1-13? Thank you for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It depends on what you mean by condemn. If the property has been condemned because it is deemed a hazard to the community, your compensation would likely have to come from the landlord. If the property is being taken by the county through a condemnation proceeding where the county takes the property and compensates the owner and tenants, you would be entitled to compensation from the county for terminating your leasehold interest.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.