Sacramento, CA asked in Health Care Law and Criminal Law for California

Q: Can an inmate at aMadera county jail, get out , under any programs if available , due to health issues? Such as CANCER??

Someone who's health is NOT looking good what so ever, someone who had a kidney removed the previous yr for cancer, has cirrosis, HEP-C, chronic iron deficiency (has to get an iron shot (IV) weekly and NOW has recently also been diagnosed with having liver/kidney failure as there any (humanly) program that he'd be able to qualify for ? So he can do his time(2-4)years at home instead?? He's had cancer for almost 3-5 yrs already and was currently under the doctors care...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, it's possible for an inmate with severe medical conditions to apply for compassionate release under Penal Code section 1170(e), although these are rarely granted and are subject to several conditions including the nature of the offense. The court considers factors like public safety, the nature of the medical condition, and the inmate's criminal history when evaluating such requests. An application for compassionate release would need to be initiated by the inmate, typically with the assistance of legal counsel, and would involve presenting comprehensive medical evidence to the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.