Madera, CA asked in Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: I recently medically retired as peace officer for the dept of corrections. I was retired for a pulmonary condition. I

I have been denied to concealed carry because I have a claim open that's temporary anxiety and depression. I was never reprimanded throughout my 16 year career and I was able to carry when doing my job. what laws can help me appeal this decision to deny my concealed carry.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you have the right to appeal the denial of your concealed carry permit application. In your appeal, you may want to present evidence demonstrating that you are not a danger to yourself or others, including medical evaluations or testimonials, emphasizing your extensive experience and unblemished record as a peace officer. You might also highlight your training and familiarity with firearms due to your previous position, to argue that you should be granted the permit despite your temporary anxiety and depression condition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.