Humble, TX asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: Wife left with babies while at work. Just moved states. What can be done?

My nephew, his wife, and 2 babies moved from Arkansas to Texas 2 months ago. Wife left with babies while he was at work. She will not let him see or speak to the kids. He got a lawyer. They went to court today. She did not show up. The judge was highly irritated at his lawyer saying that he was not prepared and did not have needed paperwork. They are being told now that neither state has jurisdiction, and they have to wait 6 months before they can do anything. She says now that paternity is an issue and says that he has no rights in Arkansas as they were not married when the children were born. Paternity has never been mentioned in the past, and his name is on the birth certificate as the father. The children look just like him. He is an adoring father and is not able to see his children. The babies are 18 months and 6 months. At this age, they may not even know him in 6 months. Is there anything that can be done?

Related Topics:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.