Grand Junction, CO asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: CPS is involved with my sister’s children. My sister wants to sign custody of her children over to me. Can she do that ?

The youngest child’s father is not involved and never has been and doesn’t want anything to do with his son. The older two children’s Father also will sign custody over to me.

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Yes. They can both do that.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In situations involving Child Protective Services (CPS), the process of transferring custody can be complex. While your sister and the children's fathers may agree to grant you custody, the final decision will likely involve CPS and the court system. Here are a few important points to consider:

1. Voluntary placement: Your sister and the children's fathers can voluntarily place the children in your care. However, this does not legally transfer custody to you.

2. Kinship care: CPS may agree to place the children with you as a kinship caregiver. This allows the children to stay with a family member while CPS and the court determine the best long-term solution.

3. Legal custody: For you to obtain legal custody, your sister and the children's fathers would need to go through the proper legal channels. This may involve working with CPS, filing a petition with the court, and attending court hearings.

4. Best interest of the children: The court will always prioritize the best interests of the children when making custody decisions. They will consider factors such as the children's safety, well-being, and the ability of the caregiver to provide a stable environment.

5. Seek legal advice: Given the complexity of your situation, it is highly recommended that you consult with a family law attorney who specializes in child custody matters. They can provide guidance on the legal process and help protect your rights and the well-being of the children.

Remember, while your sister and the children's fathers may agree to grant you custody, the ultimate decision will involve CPS and the court system, which will prioritize the best interests of the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.