Grovetown, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Does my new husbands income get taken into account if I try to modify the child support that I receive from my ex?

Ex husband seems to be making much more now than during the divorce. I now have a low paying part time job. Would my job and my new husbands income be taken into account and cause child support payments to be LESS if I were to try and modify? Pretty sure the ex husband is making more than 200k/yr now. He has purchased new, over the top vehicles (not trading in current vehicles), purchased a larger home, getting expensive additions added to his home and is frequently going on expensive trips.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Only the parents income is used for purposes of calculating each parties gross monthly income for child support. A spouse of a parents income is not added to the worksheet. However, if you have questions like this, I would see if you and your spouse can get the funds together to hire an attorney, should you decide to move forward with a modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.