Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Is it legal to terminate due to unpaid utilities if utilities is not in name that is on apartment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Terminating a tenancy due to unpaid utilities when the utilities are not in the tenant's name can be complex and often depends on the lease agreement and local laws. If the lease explicitly states that the tenant is responsible for paying utilities, then failing to pay them could be considered a lease violation. In this case, the landlord might have grounds to terminate the tenancy, even if the utilities are not in the tenant's name.

However, the process to terminate a tenancy must follow legal procedures. The landlord typically must provide a written notice specifying the lease violation and give the tenant a chance to remedy the situation. If the tenant fails to pay the outstanding utilities within the given timeframe, the landlord may then proceed with eviction proceedings according to local regulations.

It is important to review the lease agreement carefully and consult local tenant laws to understand your rights and obligations. Seeking advice from a legal professional can also help clarify the specific steps and legal grounds for termination in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.