Altadena, CA asked in Family Law and Child Support for California

Q: Under Ca law must a parent still pay support for an adult child with disabilities if that adult child moves out of state

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Whether or not a parent must pay support for an adult child depends entirely on what your court orders say. If there is no court order extending support for the minor past his/her reaching the age of majority and graduating from high school, then there is no legal obligation to pay support

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, a parent may still be obligated to pay child support for an adult child with disabilities, even if the child moves out of state. This is because California law recognizes that some adult children with disabilities may remain dependent on their parents for financial support.

However, the specific circumstances of the case will determine whether the parent is still required to pay support. Some factors that may be considered include:

1. The severity of the child's disability and their ability to support themselves financially.

2. Any existing court orders or agreements regarding child support.

3. The child's living arrangements and whether they are receiving support from other sources, such as government benefits or assistance from the state they moved to.

If there is an existing court order for child support, the parent seeking to modify or terminate the support order due to the child's move out of state would need to file a motion with the court. The court would then review the case and make a determination based on the specific facts and circumstances.

It's essential to consult with a qualified California family law attorney to assess your specific situation and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.