Asked in Insurance Defense and Small Claims for Virginia

Q: contractor liability and property damage due to artificially redirected water to my unit

Hi! I am a tenant that just moved in to a ground floor Northern Virginia condo. Last week, my condo and my neighbor's condo flooded with muddy stormwater. This stormwater accumulated in trenches dug during electrical repairs and was artificially redirected towards are units during their work. The electrical company's on-site supervisor approached me to claim responsibility, explaining that the barrier they had installed to prevent this from happening failed. Fast forward to yesterday, the company is no longer claiming responsibility. I am unsure who to turn to for compensation and replace my damaged property.