Cannabis & Marijuana Law Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Cannabis & Marijuana Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Georgia on
Q: My gf was issued a traffic ticket regarding marijuana. What will happen to her?

The ticket states that it is believed to be marijuana. She has a lawyer but is she going to go to jail?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Indiana on
Q: Can my old lawyer, be my judge in my new case?

I had a case and I was giving a public defender, less the a year later I got a new charge and she is my judge in my new case is this not a conflict of interest?

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Ohio on
Q: Can I get fired for failing a drug test even though I have my medical card and they hired me back at another location

I’m legally disabled since a young age and they’ve been telling me I might be able to get hired back for days now and they updated there policy but I’m left hanging not knowing what’s going on. I’ve missed 7days of work so far. And I have to start work at another location. They said I... Read more »

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss answered on Sep 25, 2021

Ohio employers are allowed to terminate or discipline employees for the lawful use of medical marijuana. It is entirely at the employer's discretion.

0 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Nebraska on
Q: Unpaid marijuana fine - will it cause passport issues. How can I get in contact to pay? It is out of state

Possession ticket from past. Went to court and was fined. I then Mailed the check but it never cleared. I moved so never heard more. It’s unpaid and I’m hoping to travel out of the country next year. How can i get the process of paying started? It’s out of state in Missouri or Iowa i believe.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, DUI / DWI and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Michigan on
Q: What can be done if a judge in MI is ignoring the court of appeals decision that allows mmj patients to use on probation

My disabled husband was arrested for DUI and took a plea to a lesser charge because it seemed like all he could do. He took the plea with the understanding that it would not prevent him from using medical Marijuana as a brain tumor patient. The judge in lapeer County is not allowing him to use... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 23, 2021

That judge is not the only one...what can be done? Appeal a revocation or sanction of probation.

While it sounds like you are disappointed in the case outcome, DUIs can be tough to defend. If your husband was driving, and his BAC was over 0.08...I'm not sure what benefit going to trial...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Georgia on
Q: My child was given an edible at school. The school suspended her & now we have a scheduled hearing. What should I do?

In my daughters statement she told them she knows what an edible is & what’s in it. She does because we talk about a lot. She doesn’t actually know what weed will do to her. They may try to send her to an alternative school. What can I do? It’s not fair because she didn’t bring it... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Virginia on
Q: In a state where cannabis is legal is it legal to mail THC vape cartridges to another state where cannabis is legal?
Aaron A. Pelley
Aaron A. Pelley answered on Sep 19, 2021

It is still Federally illegal to ship cannabis or transport it across state lines. Or possess cannabis. Or anything with cannabis. Still all federally illegal. All of it.

The reason this is more of a problem is because you are would be using a Federal service (United States Post Office) to...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for New Mexico on
Q: I had a friend plant his cannabis seeds at a local grow here in taos. The owners kicked us out of the farm. They stayed

With Two hundred or more of our seeds. When we left they began to start growing.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Illinois on
Q: I want to start a cannabis business but licensing is too expensive in Illinois, how legal is it to sell cannabis clones

What is a Cannabis clone? A cannabis plant that is a genetic copy of the mother plant. When obtained from a reputable breeder, a clone is a young female cannabis plant with stable genetics. Growers typically select to raise clones instead of seeds when they would rather not risk getting a plant... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 16, 2021

No, it would not be legal as the State of Illinois requires a very strict licensing, regulation, and eligibility for any cannabis and its derivatives operation in the state.

Besides, such operation does not qualify as a Sec. 503 non-for profit entity as it would be geared towards profit...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Indiana on
Q: Hi, I see I must keep this brief. Can a LEO order me inside my house on my property when not involved in anything.

Had to erase previous detailed explanation for lack of space. Will try to keep to pertinent details.

My son was followed few miles by officer who was attracted to expired plate. As soon turns into my driveway where son lives officer stops him in street right at driveway. Son texts me in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Ohio on
Q: can you be prosecuted for trying an illegal substance once (one mushroom) in the past even without physical evidence

i did it a long time ago and only now has anyone heard of it so now i am being threatened with prosecution without physical evidence.

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Sep 9, 2021

Doing drugs is technically not a crime. Possession of the drug is a crime. That being said, if you were on some type of probation etc. that prohibited the use of any drugs then that could stand. Whether or not the prosecutor can prove that you had possession of a controlled substance or if you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Georgia on
Q: Can I ask to see the evidence on my first court appearance?

The officer claims he found 6 roaches in my floor board, however I asked to see WHAT he found but he only explained WHERE he found them. I know for sure I vacuumed my vehicle out the previous day.

Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer answered on Aug 26, 2021

Not really as First Appearance is VERY limited in scope. You get to see the charges as presented to the court through the initial warrant or UTC. They check your criminal history, confirm some stuff, and can set a bond on many charges (not all). There is not a place for you to contest anything... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for West Virginia on
Q: Do I need a permit to sell cannabis out a vending machine or does the location where machine will be need the permit?

I am trying to start a cannabis vending machine business and need need to know if I need to get a permit to sell out of each machine and does the place of business need a permit also?

Aaron A. Pelley
Aaron A. Pelley answered on Aug 27, 2021

I think there are a few states that a vending machine could work. However, in most states, recreational or medical, regulations favor that a human check the customers I.D. (for recreational use) or their authorization to use cannabis (medical use) and confirm the person purchasing the product is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Illinois on
Q: I got intoxicated in the restaurant during working hours with a chocolate that had 500 mg of marijuana "Thc"

Who have to pay the hospital?

Dan Nold
Dan Nold answered on Aug 24, 2021

If you voluntarily took THC, you.

If you were somehow involuntarily intoxicated and can prove somebody intentionally caused this or a restaurant negligently allowed this to happen, you might have a claim.

The claim would be limited to actual damages suffered.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Oklahoma on
Q: In Oklahoma if you’re on probation can you still have your medical marijuana card?
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Aug 13, 2021

There is not one answer as it differs from County to County, and Judge to Judge. There are instances where all judges will allow medical marijuana use during probation except for one.

Q: Can I be put on 6 months misdemeanor probation with $600 fine for poss of marijuana when it was less than a gram (.2g)

I was a passenger in a car. We were initially stopped by 2 city officers for the window tint. We're were immediately pulled out of the vehicle and searched. I had to tiny pieces of weed in my pocket. Not even a gram .2 grams to be exact. I plead not guilty. The judge set me a court date. Once... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 10, 2021

They can if you ended up pleaded guilty or were found guilty by the court. The good news, though, is that at the of this the 6 months, your record will be expunged and it will not even show up on your record. The bad news is that you only get one bite at the apple when it comes to getting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Tennessee on
Q: I have an inmate in Tennessee that needs to clear a case in Pennsylvania. Please advise me what I should tell her
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin answered on Aug 3, 2021

Hire a PA attorney to deal with the PA case.

2 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Alabama on
Q: My car was impounded in a residential parking lot parked, and the person that was sitting in the car was arrested.

He was “ high” and the keys was in reach of the person sitting. So they impounded my vehicle because he sitting in it this is in Tuscumbia, Alabama

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson answered on Aug 3, 2021

I am not sure exactly what your question is, if you reply and clarify I would be glad to answer. I assume your question is about how to get your car back. If you know which law enforcement agency impounded the vehicle you can call and see if they will give you release instructions. If you do not... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Oregon on
Q: Is selling cannabis seeds as souvenirs or a means to preserve genetics illegal? What about giving them away?
Caleb R. Stiles
Caleb R. Stiles answered on Aug 12, 2021

Most states regulate seeds adjacently to their actual medicinal or recreational marijuana programs. You will need to consult the agricultural laws or agencies in your state to determine whether the sale of cannabis seeds has been directly promulgated or provided for in your state.

Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.