Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Texas on
Q: Can I sue my psychiatrist for breach of confidentiality? What am I entitled to?

I asked my psychiatrist to write a psychiatric assessment/mental health report on me which I would then give my lawyer. In the letter my psychiatrist included secrets of which I told him that are legal in nature that I never consented for him to disclose. I did not know such information was... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for New York on
Q: Can I used UCC guidelines or the NYS one as a way to dismiss the case?

I was manipulated into auto loan in 2016. I feel into hard time and a divorce and ended up living in my car in 2016. I started to become late but always found a way to catch up. I got back on my feet slightly in 2018 and ended up pregnant. I couldn't afford the car payments and they kept using... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on May 18, 2022

The statute of limitations does not apply to an existing case. The SOL is the date to bring a case. You did the right thing so far. Your issue is lack of service. You are going to have to prove you did not live with your brother when he was served as your household.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Maryland on
Q: How can I get receipts

MOM has Alzhiemers. Sister and her Daughter are ones that take care of her.They tell us what they want us to know. They don't show any receipts, paperwork or proof of what they claim they do. Nothing is discussed with our Sister or Myself before Sister makes Decisions. Such things as... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on May 21, 2022

Any Maryland lawyer can answer your question. If you are looking to hire a lawyer from Baltimore, that is a different issue. The first question any lawyer would have for you is, does anyone (e.g., your sister) have a power of attorney executed by your mother appointing them as your mother's... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: Is there remedy for me in this situation. The soffit and fascia have become detached from my home.

Because of this issue there is a huge opening to the attic in which birds, bats or whatever can get in. This is not covered by homeowners insurance. My home is less than 4 years old and the builders are acting as if they have no responsibility at all. A roofer looked at the damage and told me... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Michigan on
Q: My upstairs neighbor stomps on my ceiling every time I play music during the day Is that harassment?

It's been going on for about a year but has gotten really bad recently. If I play music on a portable speaker, in my apartment, between 12pm-7pm, they stomp heavily on my ceiling. I turn down before sundown. It's not even very loud though. I can converse at a normal level right next to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Q: Hello. Cam a lawyer please help me.with my case? I want to sue but do not have funds to pay up front. God Bless.

Hello. On 1-3-2022 I was pull over for non-working brake lights (pre-video evidence,they work) 12 broken ribs and lung collapsed and multiple dog bites as well as getting hit by the officers and they admitted to striking in police report. I need help please.

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Louisiana on
Q: Should I try just try my luck in Court?

Debt was sold to a debt collection company and they had a their attorney contact me in regards to the debt. We settled on a settlement amount. I processed the payment and received a email stating that my payment was successful and paid in full. I heard nothing for 3 weeks until I was served with a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: a neighbor has their camera pointing directly in the backyard, for malice purposes (spying on us). Is this legal?
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on May 17, 2022

Might or might not be. If it's pointed in a direction that would be considered legitimate security purposes for protection of their property, and simultaneously captures a portion of your back yard (and nothing whatsoever inside your home), it may be legal, regardless of motive. However, if... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Washington on
Q: Will my apartment reimburse me for destroyed groceries.

My apartment building just came through checking for bad appliances, they spoke of my oven (which may I note was never replaced, but that's besides the point). My fridge was never spoken about and about a week ago my fridge just went. Unsure if the fridge just had a broken bulb I left it and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: What is the statute of limitations in Colorado for a buyer to sue a seller after the sale of a home?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 18, 2022

You will need to hire a competent CO attorney to figure out what the applicable SOL is, as different causes of actions have different SOLs. Despite numerous postings, noone has responded because your question is incomplete. Call one of the CO lawyers listed here on Justia, whom I have noticed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for New York on
Q: We are owed $7500 on a $10,000 deposit given to a business in Friendship, NY, in March 2021. Need a litigator.

An attorney in Elmira, NY, was able to obtain only $2500 and has advised us to retain a litigator in the county of the business owner.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 17, 2022

If you need a litigator, there are a number of options that could supplement your own online searches. Although this site does not function as an attorney referral service, it has the feature above, "Find-a-Lawyer." Additionally, the NYS Bar Association has a lawyer referral service. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for Arizona on
Q: My Name was brought into a case, can I add my side of the story?

There is a case between my GF and her ex. My name was now brought up in a hearing, regarding real estate, something I was accused of doing professionally speaking. May I write the Judge to clear my name or somehow file something in this matter?

Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent answered on May 17, 2022

No. You're not a party. You can't file something in a case in which you are not a party. Further, writing a judge directly is not allowed. Judges can only communicate with parties when both parties are present.

Presuming this is a family law case (e.g., divorce or child custody...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Family Law for New York on
Q: Is it illegal for someone to use their job to find out your personal and sensitive information about an individual ?

This person works for social services and printed out my application for assistance (with all personal info on it including ss#) and gave it to her sister to use in court ordered mediation for divorce. The employees name (the suspect) was on the top of the page as logged in user at the agency. And... Read more »

Racquel A. Cousins
Racquel A. Cousins answered on May 19, 2022

Yes, you should definitely speak with an attorney. Your situation sounds complicated and you would need to give all the facts to an attorney, who can represent you. It sounds like there is way more going on here than you can type in the "Ask a Lawyer" section. However, to answer your... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.