Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Products Liability and Civil Rights for New Mexico on
Q: If any personal items such as laptops or disc albums were to be strewn about due to trailer flip can cops impound it?

If a trailer were to flip and I were to go to retrieve my personal valuables and halted by officers could I use the law as my defense to procure my items?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Sep 18, 2016

You would want to ask that they allow you to get personal items. They can't impound unless they believe a crime was committed or if the crash resulted in a fatality or similar. If you aren't the owner of the trailer or driver, then there's the problem.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for New Mexico on
Q: How do I find the notes of decision annotation section for each New Mexico statute and Rule annotations online

I use the notes of decision and the committee commentaries for each New Mexico statute and rules annotated to compare case laws already decided by the New Mexico courts to formulate and support my arguments however I can't find them online with the case laws that I search for please give me... Read more »

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
answered on Sep 24, 2016

I am confused by your question. If you are a lawyer or paralegal, you would already know how to do legal research, and would not be asking the question. If you are a pro se litigant, you can find a great deal of information right here at Justia (and some other sites, as well). You mention... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for New Mexico on
Q: I was falsely incarcerated for 20 days and was told by the judge to file a claim what that going to be worth
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
answered on Jun 26, 2016

This is the type of issue about which you should consult with a private attorney. Many attorneys offer free consultations and will help you evaluate any potential case you may have.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for New Mexico on
Q: I have a complaint about the sheriff's department

I have a complaint about the sheriff'sdepartment illegally searching my house, twice and towing my car because I refused to file a false police report - what type of lawyer do I need? civil rights?

Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
answered on May 23, 2016

There are attorneys who specialize in bringing lawsuits against law enforcement officers and agencies for violations of civil rights. They may advertise as personal injury or civil rights lawyers.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for New Mexico on
Q: Can I do a tort claim for compensation of property lost by the local police department
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
answered on Apr 26, 2016

You would need to provide more details. While a tort claim is probably not the avenue, there usually is a process for taking inventory and providing a receipt of voucher of property taken. There can be many breakdowns in that process. Alternatively, depending on the facts, the property might be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for New Mexico on
Q: Completed a 3 year sentence in doc and just won my appeal in new Mexico court of appeals what actions can I take

I was found guilty by a jury I was sentenced to 5 1\2 years ..18 months for a 4th plus they gave me the 4 year obitual offender .. Court of appeals recently reversed my conviction

Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
answered on Mar 19, 2016

You should consult with an attorney. What options you have will depend on many facts, which you have not provided here. For example, you may be contemplating bringing a civil rights lawsuit. You do not automatically have a case just because your conviction was overturned after you served some... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Employment Law for New Mexico on
Q: My background was pulled and i was fired. An employee not with HR read and told me what was on it. Is it a Privacy Issue

I was terminated because of information on a background report. An employee told me i was under investigation for crimes and he informed me of what was on my background report. It isn't public record, i never knew about any allegations against me and had to find out from another employee about... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Oct 14, 2015

To answer your question will require a bit of research on most attorneys parts. You need to actually go see one about this.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.