Admiralty / Maritime Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers
Q: Is our court actually considered a tribunal as in Admiralty law. The judge, DA and the prosecutor?

As a sovereign we have the jurisdiction over the land of the United States of America. What is the difference between a STRAWMAN and a Human Being.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 16, 2019

People use the terms loosely, but U.S. Constitution grants U.S. Courts authority to hear admiralty cases in Section 2 of Article III. In terms of maritime prosecutions, it is common for them to sometimes be handled jointly between the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Coast Guard, depending on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Q: Where can I find a map of international waters of Asia that is acceptable to the IRS or courts?

For expatriate crew members working in an airplane or ship in a Foreign Country, part of the income made there can be counted as an exclusion for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE). However, when a crew member is performing their services over international waters, all the income made there... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 9, 2019

You could contact the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to inquire if they know who performs the equivalent of their services in Asian countries. The charts I use identify the National Ocean Service Coast Survey as a reference (with additional inputs from the Army Corps of Engineers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Admiralty / Maritime, Constitutional Law and Military Law for South Carolina on
Q: Are we in Admiralty law or common law. Cause our flags in our court room are gold fringed meaning Admiralty law
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 24, 2019

Courts today can apply elements of both types of law. It will come down to a matter of the type of case the court has subject matter jurisdiction over, so that if a federal district court is deemed to have admiralty jurisdiction over a matter, it will apply maritime law and the Federal Rules of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Admiralty / Maritime, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law on
Q: I am the Plaintiff in a federal lawsuit for damage to my boat at the hands of two Marin County sheriff's, and a Marin

County "Harbor Administrator" and a contractor, and the United States.

The Judge has granted some of my Claims and given me the opportunity to amend. She also mentioned that there might be a Banes Act violation, which I had not included in the complaint, If I can claim to be a... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 23, 2019

Congratulations. I'd suggest you contact a member of CAOC who handles police cases or call the San Francisco or Cal. Civil Liberties Union and ask for the names of "cooperating attorneys" in your are for police misconduct issues.

All the best!

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Q: My husband was responsible for an injury on a rig - can the other guy sue us?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 28, 2018

Additional details are needed.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Q: How far out does a boat have to be for federal law to apply to an injury?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 14, 2018

The criteria is one more about the nature of the waters than of distance. Maritime law can apply to an injury that takes place on something known as "navigable waters," which carries with it the attribute of interstate nexus. Therefore a boat operating off the East Coast, West Coast, adjoining... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Q: If the accident occurred while in port, what laws apply?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 23, 2018

It would depend on the capacity of the person at the time the accident occurred. Was the person a member of the vessel’s crew? Was the person a stevedore working for a cargo terminal? Was the person a welder, mechanic, or other shoreside contractor? Was the person a disembarking harbor pilot?... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Admiralty / Maritime and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: i am looking for the proper form quo warranto state of florida
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 15, 2018

Look at Florida Appellate Practice by Padavano

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Michigan on
Q: cruiseline job. Received medical certificate fit for duty with restriction of "near coastal water" defined as 200 miles

Restriction is due to type 1 diabetes. Cruise line states no voyages within 200 miles although their marketing states otherwise. Is this employment discrimination? How can I find more information on maritime laws, definitions

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 12, 2018

Unlikely, but I suppose it's worth it to consult with an employment law attorney. Quite likely, the terms of employment with a cruise line include you being certified for "worldwide" service. If you must remain within 200 miles, you are not available for worldwide use, and I am unsure they would... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Q: Where does my husband lodge a safety complaint? He works on a commercial boat.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 31, 2018

The U.S. Coast Guard, Office of Commercial Vessel Compliance should be able to provide direction here. OSHA also provides information under the Seaman's Protection Act -

Tim Akpinar

Q: What is the monety amou t required bond or surety for a city manager


Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 31, 2018

You could try reposting this question and including Municipal Law under your categories. It might have a better chance of being picked up there.

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Q: My wife slipped on a wet deck recently on a cruise down to Mexico - how long would we have to file a lawsuit?
Michael A. Winkleman
Michael A. Winkleman answered on Oct 31, 2018

I hope your wife is doing OK.

The answer to your question will depend on the fine print of your cruise ticket contract but with most major cruise lines: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, there is a 6 month notice requirement (which means you must give written notice within 6 months of the...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and White Collar Crime on
Q: A corp filed on me, neverserved.miss court, sentenced Filed vacate jud, lost they said a cop came read out saysno

My court date with them was for 10/17/18, I had the court certify mail to serve them, the court stated the verification card hasn't been returned yet, I called down to L.A. post office, she faxed me a copy of the agents signature, but the judge didn't accept it. Rescheduled the court date.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing this information

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Nevada on
Q: How do I find the holder of my Trust account?

cest de qui trust was created on my behalf; I would like to be the trustee and beneficiary on this account

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 18, 2018

If you additionally posted this question in the Banking and Probate sections, attorneys who are familiar with trust accounts could have a better chance of picking it up.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Illinois on
Q: can president trump impose martial law.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 14, 2018

It would depend on the circumstances facing the nation. Historically, martial law has been imposed in times of war or disaster. Constitutional scholars would be likely to have a deeper insight into the concept than maritime attorneys because it is closely connected to the suspension of habeas... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Q: I don't believe I was compensated properly while working as a cruise member.

Do I need a maritime attorney, or just a regular employment attorney?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 12, 2018

I would have liked to give you a “yes” or “no” answer, but the most helpful attorney could be one who is experienced with cruise ship wage matters. And not every maritime attorney handles cruise ship wage claims, even if they handle Jones Act claims for crew members. Cruise ship employment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Q: I was injured offshore in work-related accident. What's the maximum amount of maintenance I can get, and how soon?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 9, 2018

In general, reputable employers will take steps to arrange for maintenance payments soon after a preliminary investigation is able to verify the facts of an accident/injury. Maintenance is generally paid until the employee reaches maximum medical improvement. Some court decisions use similar terms... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Q: Who would take a case re: suing Port Hueneme Harbor Patrol for sinking my commercial vessel while under their control?

Vessel was impounded for no insurance. While in their slip, in front of their patrol window my vessel sunk due to their negligence. I was not allowed to maintain my vessel or check on it. I have voicemails, emails, and phone conversation recorded as proof of their fault.

William John Light
William John Light answered on Oct 3, 2018

You will have to file a Tort Claim with the County of Ventura with 6 months of the date of the loss. After that, your claim may be governed by the Jones Act (not sure about that), which requires a specialty attorney. Do a computer search for Jones Act attorneys in Ventura and you will be guided... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Q: As a boat owner, what are my legal obligations to guests on my boat if they slip and fall?
Michael H. Joseph
Michael H. Joseph answered on Sep 19, 2018

If they slip because of a dangerous condition, you could be held liable under the General Maritime Law. You should be aware that maritime law has recognized the lack of non-skid paint aboard a vessel to be a dangerous condition, since it is forseeable that the walking surfaces will get wet.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Florida on
Q: Can a U.S. person with flying disabilities take a cruise ship from LA to Hawaii and then a different ship back to LA?

One way cruise to Hawaii and a return say a week later on another cruise ship?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 9, 2018

As a general matter, I’m not aware of any maritime law provision that prohibits purchasing a one-way passage from one port to another on one vessel and then purchasing another one-way passage on a different vessel for a return trip. That is as a general matter. However, a person’s rights,... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.