Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Civil Rights Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California on
Q: How do I request an exemption?

My employer has switched from voluntary to mandatory vaccination offering religious/medical exemptions.

Maya L. Serkova
Maya L. Serkova answered on Sep 6, 2021

If you plan on requesting a medical exemption, you need to show your employer the doctor's note with restrictions related to your condition. Your employer will need to work with you to accommodate your restrictions. The exemption is not automatic in the sense that just because you request it,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona on
Q: o you have the right to defend yourself from an arrest that you know is unlawful with the same force that the officer is

doing to you?

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Sep 3, 2021

I wouldn't recommend it. Technically, yes, but dead right is still dead. The appropriate time to challenge the legality of an arrest is not mid-arrest.

The answer would have been markedly different in Arizona in 1871 but this is 2021. Law enforcement has Motorola. Even justified use of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee on
Q: TN Convicted of Domestic Assault years ago. My Fiance owns several firearms. Is it OK for her to keep them in our house?

I live in Tennessee and I pled guilty to a misdemeanor Domestic Assault about five years ago. I was forced to sign a piece of paper stating that I must surrender all of my firearms and that I would never be able to own a firearm again. My question is this: I am getting married soon and my fiance... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 3, 2021

Your future Wife does not lose her rights by marrying you. You should not touch the firearms nor ammunition, and it would be better for her to have a safe for most of it. I suspect she carries one or more firearms. I am sorry that you got talked into pleading to a crime worse than many... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Environmental for Michigan on
Q: have a general question about noise. I have very sensitive hearing and autism and other disorders. I've contacted the bu

have a general question about noise. I have very sensitive hearing and autism and other disorders. I've contacted the business and the police about the noise but unfortunately it's gone on deaf ears. They keep playing music outside that's pounding and I'm right behind their... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 3, 2021

You could try contacting the city's neighborhood / code enforcement section. If the offending property is a business, there could be some abatement issues they could consider. But if the noise falls within the city's code concerning noise (e.g. it's within prescribed reason, etc.),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights and Probate for Massachusetts on
Q: What do I do if I’m paying child support and being denied visitation rights to my daughter
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa answered on Sep 3, 2021

If you have a visitation order or a Judgment that states the terms of visitation and are being denied visitation , then there appear to be grounds for a Contempt action unless there is something happening which is inimical to the child's best interests in which case the custodial parent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I live in auburn New York I had a flood in my apt it was sewage do I have a case

I was out of my apt last year for 3 in a half months for this they told us it was fixed and I lost a lot of furniture and clothes I would like them replaced and 2 plus 4 says they are not replacing anything

Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay answered on Sep 3, 2021

Ideally a tenant should maintain renter's insurance to cover damages to his or her personal belongings. In the event a tenant a tenant does not have insurance coverage to cover his or her losses, a landlord may be responsible if the flooding can be proven to be due to the landlord's negligence.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Can the police pose you and take your picture in handcuffs for their own personal entertainment during an arrest?

I was arrested after leaving a program for someone else in my car getting out when offered drugs at a gas station. Since I transported them to that location to get gas and that happened, I was charged with permitting drug abuse. They handcuffed me and were laughing that I just got out of the... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Sep 2, 2021

While not illegal, that is likely a violation of departmental policies which could get them into hot water at work.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas on
Q: If you signed a 12 month lease, and at the end of the 12 months you moved completely out and notified your landlord the

Last day of your contract that you are not going to sign another lease, can they still penalize you? What’s the point of signing a contract for X amount of months if you have to tell them that you were going to terminate the lease on the day that you already signed and agreed to terminate the lease?

Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Sep 2, 2021

It depends on what your lease says. If the lease is silent as to any notice requirements before moving out, you are perfectly within your rights to move out the last day of the lease and are under no further obligation to your landlord. However, if the lease requires a notice prior to moving out,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Is it wrong to ask my landlord questions?

All i asked him was if he cleaned the restroom before moving in and i wasnt rude about it and he said if i wasnt happy he will give the security deposit back and he has 20 other people wanting in.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 2, 2021

Nothing wrong to ask. But landlord doesn't need a reason not to rent to you. If landlord is discriminating on the basis of race, sex, age, etc. then you might have a claim.

Q: Can the law legally hold my truck and impound when it wasn't part of my charges or fines for being arrested

What I was trying to say and not so many words is I got charged with the drugs but there's no charge or fines or tickets if anything to do with the truck how can they hold it

Peter David Brown
Peter David Brown answered on Sep 2, 2021

IF the arresting agency alleges that the vehicle was used in the futherance of the "criminal enterprise" they can seize it.

(for example: you were stopped with the drugs in the vehicle)

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Divorce and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Q: Does a domestic partner have rights over a separated spouse if their name is on a mortgage title?

My domestic partner is a co-applicant on the mortgage loan

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Sep 2, 2021

From what you wrote it sounds like the domestic partner’s name is on the title. Is that correct? If so, then they would have rights to the home. If you want clarification, consult with an attorney who can review the facts and provide you with guidance.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: In oregon how can I get my belongings out of a storage unit that is only in my daughter's na

We opened the unit together but I paid it.

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Sep 1, 2021

When you say you opened it together, if you co-signed the rental agreement, the storage facility should have no problem allowing you access as long as your rent is paid to date. If you are not on the rental agreement, then your daughter will have to access the unit or possibly the storage facility... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for North Carolina on
Q: If I am a widow,do I have to changed my married name before I remarry?
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran answered on Sep 1, 2021

You never have to change your name if you don't want to. I would actually advise against it. I have seen how much paperwork you have to go through, and unless you really want to change your name, I wouldn't do it.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Civil Rights for California on


Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Aug 30, 2021

You need a lawyer who is knowledgeable on discrimination in employment cases. You can find them by going to the website for the California Employment Lawyer's Association (CELA), or to even the Los Angeles Bar Association's website (LACBA) and looking for their Lawyer's Referral... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Q: Can my wife be held accountable to pay medical for my kid if I'm unemployed

I'm unemployed, my wife works. Can my wife be charged for benefits that a child received from my prior relationship? We're not under any child support order nor do we have any parental rights to the child. Is it legal for the State of Georgia to put a garnishment on my wife's income?

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Aug 30, 2021

You are still married? Are you going through a divorce? We need more information regarding the situation in order to be able to provide you with guidance.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Civil Rights for New Hampshire on
Q: I was charged with a simple domestic assault charge a couple months ago, and just got caught attempting to steal food

My court papers say that if I’m charged with any federal or misdemeanor crimes within the next 2 years than it’s a mandatory 30 days in jail. I was caught in hannaford with 50$ worth of items for my family and got caught, and I have a court hearing for the case 2 months from now. I’m the only... Read more »

Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden answered on Aug 30, 2021

There is always a chance. Your best bet is to contact a competent defense lawyer in your area. If you qualify for a public defender request an attorney. Do not try to handle this on your own. A suspended sentence is not imposed until a final order from a court. Do not discuss case with anyone... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas on
Q: I am on parole in a halfway house. They are locking us in our dorms. Is this legal? I am in Texas.

This halfway house is operated by core civic but over seen by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and they try to run this place like we are still incarcerated.

Stephen A. Nicholas
Stephen A. Nicholas answered on Aug 29, 2021

If its oversight is by TDCJ-ID, the halfway house operator, more likely than not, has to follow guidelines that TDCJ-ID issues. Are you in the process of being released on Parole from TDCJ-ID? It sounds like you have been released to a transitional type facility. If so, you have to follow their... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on

no evidence. was set up robbed of my belongings and imprison.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 28, 2021

no lawyer can evaluate without a lot more info.

if you are in custody, you will be arraigned shortly and a public defender will be appointed for you if you can't afford a lawyer.

be prepared to share all the facts with someone that will also have a police report.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Kentucky on
Q: If cps shows up and u refuse to let them in. Can they take your kids away because of it.

CPS came to my house cause someone called and said my kids were being neglected. I refused to let them in my home. So the next day they came to my moms house cause I wasnt home with a cop and took my kids. The only thing my papers say is that they were being removed because I did not allow them to... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 28, 2021

You need to hire a lawyer and sue them immediately!!!

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome which limits my mobility. I contacted my APT which denied a request.

When contacting the APT they claimed that I would have to get a handicap pass and then use those spots which I told them that I did not need a spot within 200ft and just need it in the front lot compared to the back lot which is much further

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 27, 2021

This is something that only the experienced landlord-tenant attorneys here are qualified to advise on. But your post remains open for three weeks, and you have a medical condition that is creating a hardship for you. You could reach out to the landlord-tenant attorneys here (using the Find-a-Lawyer... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.