Maryland Public Benefits Questions & Answers

Q: How can i change my daughter's last name ? she is almost 3 years old.And how long is taking to get new last name ?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Maryland on
Answered on May 31, 2018
Alan Solomon's answer
You need to file a petition in court to change her name and provide notice to the father. If he objects ere will be a hearing

Q: Is it legal for an adult son in Maryland to hold $60,000 of his mother’s money so she can get Public Assistance?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Maryland on
Answered on Apr 26, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
It can be grounds for criminal fraud, or conspiracy to defraud, on both the son's and the mother's part. Don't do it.

Q: Can i sue my supervisor if he is purposely messing up my pay

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Public Benefits for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 16, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
USPS pay and injury issues are a specialty. You need to look for someone who specializes in that. Suing the supervisor directly? No for many reasons.

Q: As a MD small business owner, how long am I responsible for an ex-employee who is getting unemployment benefits?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for Maryland on
Answered on Apr 26, 2016
Marshall Jason Ray's answer
This actually gets pretty technical, and this answer is not comprehensive. When someone files for benefits, the wages the individual earned in the first four of the five quarters preceding the claim are used to calculate monetary eligibility and the weekly benefit amount. This is called the base period. If there is only one employer that reported wages in that base period, then all of the benefits are charged to that employer's account. The benefit charges then go into a formula to...

Q: What does the term public benefits refer to or mean?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 26, 2012
Bernard Marcel Raiche's answer
Public Benefits are benefits provided by federal, state or local governments. The most common federal benefits include Social Security retirement benefits, Social Security disability benefits (SSI and SSDI), Medicare, and Medical Assistance (a combined state and federal benefit which is also referred to as Medicaid)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.