COVID-19 Child Support Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Missouri on
Q: Does RECEIVED child support affect PAID child support?

I want to preface this with the fact I’m in the state of Missouri. I filed for child support through the state to my sons father. He put on his form14 that his income is $1100/month (Unemployment- he’s laid off cause of Covid) & left out the $1,700 a month in child support he receives for... View More

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
answered on Dec 8, 2020

Receipt of child support is not considered income to the party receiving it. That money is the contribution of the other parent toward the support of the other parents’ children. In fact, he gets a credit for the 3 other children in his household for his financial support for the children in his... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for New Jersey on
Q: I am unemployed , lost income due to Covid-19. I have tried paying child support best I can but I no longer able. Help

I need help to submit a modification request in New New Jersey. I live out of state. My kids are both In college and not at home. I was hoping the situation and pandemic would turn around for I have no ability to maintain those payments.

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
answered on Dec 3, 2020

I recommend you go to the child support services office of the state whee the children live and open a case to request modification of your child support. Most agencies have online/telephonic services to some extent that can assist you with application process. Your biggest challenge will the... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Ok kids resident state is nevada Temp custody inndomestic case was filed And no new custody order has been filed sense

And no new custody order has been filed sense so as I understand those temporary custody orders have rained in effectSo now I have allowed the kids to go to visitation for part of the summer and I let them stay for an extended due to the Covid and now a lawsuit is being filed against me by child... View More

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
answered on Dec 2, 2020

It is best to respond to the child support lawsuit with a request that child custody also be reevaluated. If child support is awarded, it will be based on how the child custody is arranged. Both the child custody and child support cases should be held in the state where the children have resided... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can the custodial parent take away visitation if you’re behind on child support?

Income decreased due to covid. Still paying monthly but struggling to pay the full amount. Need my income legally re evaluated. But she won’t let me see my child.

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
answered on Dec 1, 2020

No, visitation and the payment of child support are completely independent of one another. Failure to pay support is not a valid reason to withhold visitation. If visitation is being denied, you may have to file a motion for contempt for her violation of the custody order.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California on
Q: If an alimony claim was filed in in July 2020 also a restraining order for violence, then the client used his one delay

Due to lack of a lawyer, than the lawyer pushed the hearing back 3 months, from September to December, then the lawyer dropped the client due to lack of payments, the client gets a new lawyer 3 weeks before the alimony hearing, can the case be pushed back again

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Nov 23, 2020

more info needed.

what state, county, court, judge?

but yes it is at the discretion of the judge...and with Covid, everything is up in the air.

hopefully, you have a lawyer who can fill the judge in on the past history.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Ohio on
Q: Will I be forced to change jobs?

An ex just had my baby and we both know we’re going to establish child support soon. I’m on limited hours due to covid And how it impacts our field. Will I be forced to find a new job? I’ve been here a few years and would normally get 40 hours, the last few months have been 20 hours at most... View More

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Nov 18, 2020

The current virus situation affecting your employment could be one factor in determining the child support amount. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney who can review your financial situation, run the Ohio child support calculation using your prior and current income... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona on
Q: I would like to know how and if there is a way to address current child support order.

I struggled to obtain a well paying job last year, I was let go once and I was out of a job for a few months, currently with COVID my income was affected. The first child support order was at $345 when I was consistently earning a decent income, but I no longer work there and my hours fluctuate,... View More

Peter W Davis
Peter W Davis
answered on Sep 18, 2020

Child support can be modified in Arizona at anytime upon a showing of substantial change in circumstances. This can be done by one of 2 methods, a simplified modification where you file, serve the other party and if they don't request a hearing the Court orders your modification. There is a... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida on
Q: My ex-wife was recently laid off due to COVID. Will this affect what I pay in child support?

No motion has been filed to make modifications to current child support. I just want to know what might potentially happen.

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 17, 2020

No modification can be effective before a motion is filed with the court. Generally, a wage earner is expected to continue to earn at the same level as they have historically, even if they lose their job. If you are the payor and her income decreases it could actually mean that you pay less, not... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for California on
Q: who can help me fill out child support papers filed against me.
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Aug 30, 2020

You can hire an attorney or do it yourself. The courts had a "self help" office that could assist you before Covid, I do not know if they have re-opened after the court closures last March. The Government does not provide you with a free attorney except in the case where your liberty is... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Arizona on
Q: Is it possible to modify child support\spousal maintenance on my own? I lost my job due to Covid-19

The spousal maintenance is "non-modifiable", I have paid 11 out of the 24 required months. The Child support does not mention whether it is modifiable or not.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Aug 25, 2020

While it is possible, your focus, at this point, should be on regaining employment. Your unemployment is, or at least should not be, a permanent change in your financial situation. Once you are again employed, you can input your new income figures into the child support calculator to determine if... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: Will my ex be responsible for my child’s health care?

My ex and I just had a baby. I Found out five weeks before the baby was born that he was still married. And instead of him working from home he is actually a stay at home dad. I live in the state of Michigan and was already told by the child support division that he would be imputed at minimum wage... View More

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 17, 2020

Yes, medical coverage will be a part of the child support order. At a minimum, your ex will be responsible to the state for reimbursement of birth expenses. And so long as he (or you) have access to private insurance, one of you will be required to keep the child covered.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: How hard is it to get full custody as a dad?

The mother of my kids doesn't let me get share custody. Now she has blocked me and my wife and can't get in contact with her or my kids. Im tired of this. I just want shared custody over my kids. My kids have mentioned to me that want to live with me? Does it help if I file for custody... View More

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
answered on Jul 21, 2020

Getting full custody may be difficult. The mother has rights too, unless she is abusive or neglectful. The children's wishes may be taken into account depending on their ages. Remember, they probably say different things to each parent. That is typical survival behavior. They want to please... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for California on
Q: Where do I go to get help filling out a child support response if the help centers are closed?

What happens if I don’t get help

Filling out the response before court? I have court in about a week and still haven’t responded. I was served back in February but because of the pandemic it’s been pushed until next week. The petitioner submitted pay stubs for December of 2019 and... View More

Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
answered on Jul 15, 2020

Call the Self-Help Centers. Many are answering questions and helping people fill out forms on the phone, even though their offices are closed. If you haven't filled out your papers before the court date, be sure to go to the court hearing and ask the judge for more time, explaining why you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for California on
Q: I was served an order to pay child support on a child, but my child lives with me

Yesterday was her with in order to pay child support it's dated November 13th when she filed but my son has lived with me since around halloween 2019. It wasnt planned for him to move in with me. I normally had him friday, saturday sunday, and would drop him off at school moday morning. My... View More

Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
answered on Jul 7, 2020

If you were served with an order to pay child support, it could be a form from Child Support Services, or an order from the child support court, or it could be a document called Findings and Order After Hearing from the family law court, or it could be an Income Withholding Order, form FL-195, or... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California on
Q: How to respond to (petioners) RFO orders Ex- Parte Notice late notice via email sent by his attorney to me (respondent).

this is a family custody visitation/ sole and physical custody battle on going for 3 years. Minors counsel also involved.

Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
answered on Jul 1, 2020

The short answer is: SHOW UP IN COURT at the time and place given to you in the notice. If the time and place are set for tomorrow, go to that courtroom tomorrow at the time given in the notice. There is nothing else you need to do to respond. When you get to the hearing the attorney on the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I find out if I overpaid in arrears?

Paid arrears for 17 years for being approx 1 month behind. CP filed in March, court date and agreement reached in April of 2003. Case just closed but I don't believe I should have been paying arrears for that long. Can I get full History of payments?

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
answered on Jun 23, 2020

Sure. Contract the county Domestic Relations Office which handled the case and ask what they need you to do in order to obtain an accounting of your payments. You may have to email them. It's hard to tell you what the process will be because it's likely their procedures have been... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Pennsylvania on
Q: Social distancing and covid concerns

We have 50/50 custody of my stepson and also take care of my husbands elderly mother. She is considered high risk. Today we found out that my husbands ex has not been practicing social distancing and has been letting their son play with children closely. Talks in the house have been it might not... View More

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
answered on Jun 18, 2020

If there's no court order, there aren't any "official" rules by which to play -- at least right now. He has two recourses: (1) work it out informally, just like he always has, or (2) file a Complaint for Custody and let the court sort everything out.

View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for New York on
Q: Hi, How does child support work with this pandemic? What can you recommend me to do about this case?

I give an amount of $ 368 every two weeks to my son's mother.($ 125 childcare is included.)

I also pay 280 a month for health insurance sharing it with my son

That’s what the court required.

my earnings are 22 per hour, working 40 hours weekly.

Now I am... View More

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
answered on Jun 12, 2020

You must follow the court order as written. If you need to change that, you need to file a petition for modification. Even if you case is not heard right away as the courts are closed, your petition will be filed and any modification award would be retroactive to the date of filing.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Minnesota on
Q: Can my ex demand I pay childcare when she is the one providing that childcare? Not child support but childcare.

Since Covid, the local daycare has closed down. But my ex demands that I continue to pay for childcare. My divorce decree includes a monthly childcare payment amount based on an estimate. It says it shall not be adjusted according a cost of living increase but should be based on the actual cost of... View More

Sonja M. Nyberg
Sonja M. Nyberg
answered on Jun 1, 2020

Without reading your current order for child support, it is difficult to give you the best answer. With that said, in order for you to modify the amount you are paying per month for childcare support you will need to file a motion with the Court. The good news, however, is that child care support... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New York on
Q: For a family court case if the mother is a resident of NY and father KY can the case be brought to NY??

The court case was started in KY because of ex husband. My lawyer in KY is not contacting me when court is in session. They have not put my daughter on the custody or support case (born Feb 2020) and my ex husband is lying to the judge about the circumstances of myself and my son moving back to NY... View More

George E. Patsis
George E. Patsis
answered on May 29, 2020

It seems that a custody and child support case for your daughter is not pending in Kentucky. If this is correct, there is nothing stopping you from filing in New York. Typically you would start with a custody petition and file a child support petition. The custody petition generally would be... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.