Doylestown, PA asked in Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: My nephew stole my credit card, and charged over $3,337 in my name (I can't say what he bought). He hurt my credit.

Will the credit card company have to excuse my not paying for what he stole and charged?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony J. Pietrafesa
Anthony J. Pietrafesa
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Albany , NY

A: Did you file a frad affidavit? You can find one at the FTC website.

Under the FCBA, you should dispute teh charges he made on your credit card to the issuer within 60 days of the statement on which they appear.

Both should protect you.

Ken Chan
Ken Chan
  • Mountain View, CA

A: Your situation may be covered by the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA). The Federal Trade Commission has an informational web page explaining your rights under the FCBA and how to avail yourself to the consumer protections under the Act when you have a disputed credit card charge:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.