Orem, UT asked in Business Law for Utah

Q: I am staying in a hotel and the first Morning my husband and I left for the day. When we returned back to the hotel our

Keys did not work. We talked to the front desk and they said that they went into our room and because it smelt like smoke we had to pay 250 dollars. We did not smoke in the room. We also had the do not disturb sign on the door. When I checked in I also said that we did not need room serv in the morning and we would be sleeping in. What's rights do I have and what should I do? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas J. Shumway
Douglas J. Shumway
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Unfortunately you are in a difficult situation. Most businesses would not put a customer through an ordeal such as this without an extremely good reason to do so and it sounds as though this business did not have such a reason.

You could certainly hire an attorney to make a demand upon the business for you and you would probably get some money back or an opportunity to stay free in the future (assuming you were willing to do so). Most attorneys would be willing to do this for a small flat fee.

In these situations it is often very beneficial to get organizations such as the Better Business Bureau involved because the pressure that they put on businesses to treat customers fairly is pretty immense. Also, it seems that posting negative reviews on social websites and directory websites will cause businesses to respond appropriately to your concerns and/or demands. However, you should be cautious about saying anything that is not absolutely true because you may be held liable for such accusations.

This foregoing answer is provided by Douglas J Shumway, Esq.: (801) 478-8080. The answer provided is not intended to form an attorney client relationship and should not be construed as legal advice. Mr. Shumway is licensed only in Utah.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.