Bronx, NY asked in Tax Law for New York

Q: I was audited by the irs and i claimed my biological brothers children but i was adopted how do i prove it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
A. Antonio Tomas
A. Antonio Tomas
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL

A: If you are audited, you will have to establish that you provided support to these children and/or that they resided with you more than half of the year. You can prove this with receipts, copies of bills from the child's doctor, school, etc.. Contact a tax attorney who can represent you against the IRS in the event you are audited. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.