West Valley City, UT asked in Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: Should we fight a disorderly conduct charge?

The school questioned my child about a fight at school and they listed her as a witness and now she is being charged with disorderly conduct for knowing the fight was going to happen and not advising the staff. Can the court use the statement she gave the school?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Howard
Stephen Howard
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Layton, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Merely knowing about someone elses crime does not make you guilty of that crime. Based on what you have said, I think the only real risk would be if it turns out that she not only knew about the fight, but had somehow encouraged the fight, egged the other kids on, or was somehow involved more than just "knowing" about it. Under Utah law, that could make her responsible as a "party" to the offense.

Normally, when charged under the State code (76-9-102), disorderly conduct is an infraction. If the person continues the "disorderly conduct" after being asked to stop, it can become a class C misdemeanor. A class C misdemeanor is punishable by up to 90 days jail plus a fine, but an infraction only carries a potential fine. As a juvenile, she could not be put in jail, but could theoretically be placed in a juvenile detention facility if it were charged as a misdemeanor. Based on what you have said, the risk of that happening is probably slim to none.

As a defense attorney, I have to leave the ultimate question of whether to fight the charge up to my client. But with what you've said here, she doesn't run any great risks by fighting it. And if she's not guilty, fighting the charge makes sense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.