Huntington, WV asked in Child Custody for West Virginia

Q: If a parent obtains full custody of a child but spends little to no time with the child, can said custody be revoked?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Santa Monica, CA

A: There are two types of custody, Legal and Physical. Legal custody is the right to know medical care and school decisions. Physical Custody is when the child is in your presence and home.

I assume you are speaking of Physical Custody and they are now sending the child to you or another adult to be cared for. The answer is yes, if you can show what is ACTUALLY happening you can change the custody arrangement. Do this by keeping a diary or calendar for three months then file an Order To Show Cause.

There is more information available in my book, A Man's Guide To Child Custody, available on Amazon and my website as an E-Book at

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.