Florham Park, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: If a landlord in New Jersey rents me a house that has been found to be uninhabitable is the lease void?

I rented a house. After many years of trying to get the landlord to do repairs to no avail, I withheld rent. The house was then found to contain code violations that the state of New Jersey deems uninhabitable. My landlord did not renew my lease and is boarding up the house. Now my landlord has filed a civil suit against me seeking the unpaid rent I withheld. Does the fact that the my city and the state both find the house uninhabitable release me from the terms of the lease? In other words, do I have to pay the landlord the rent I withheld?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rodney John Alberto
Rodney John Alberto
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Forked River, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You may need to countersue him, indicating that rent is not due, but this would require some case law investigation and a review of the lease. I think you have a case. Good luck, our firm specializes in landlord tenant law, and your case is unique and compelling. Rodney Alberto, Esq. www.albertobrothers.com, 732-200-0779

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.