Madison, WI asked in Environmental for Wisconsin

Q: Is it legal to add the drug Sodium Fluoride to the public water system w/o informed consent of the public?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maxwell Charles Livingston
Maxwell Charles Livingston
  • Environmental Law Lawyer
  • Albany, CA
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: To begin, the EPA regulates what may be added to a public water system. If that water system is a drinking water body, the EPA is more likely to be unforgiving. Currently, the drinking water standards are under review; allowed levels are 4.0mg/liter OR 2.0mg/liter as a secondary standard, as it sits now.

Then, many municipalities have been sued for committing "flouridation." So, even if the EPA's okay with the discharge, you could be sued.

Finally, are you registered through the EPA, under the Clean Water Act (as a source, for discharge)? If not, you may not discharge into the water.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.