Orlando, FL asked in Small Claims for Florida

Q: I was given a gift and now my girlfriend wants it back, do I have to give it to her?

It was a computer purchased online i n her name and on her card, it was shipped in my name to my address, she now wants it back, do I have to give it to her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Greg Jean-Denis
Greg Jean-Denis
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The answer is maybe. She may disagree as to whether it was a gift. It will depend on the totality of the circumstances and what was the intent of the parties. If it ends up in small claims court, you will probably end up mediating this matter with her to come up with a solution you both can live with.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.