St Paul, MN asked in Bankruptcy for Minnesota

Q: Can u tell me the last last time I filed for for bankruptcy was and can I again. I am disabled now and can't work anymor

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dave  Kelly
Dave Kelly pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Minnetonka, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Assuming that your last bankruptcy was a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you can't file another Chapter 7 until eight years after your earlier case was filed.

If you received a discharge in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you can't file a Chapter 7 again until six years after the Chapter 13 was filed.

If you would give me a call I could help you figure out when your last case was filed, if you need help with that.

This response is for general information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice. I am a debt relief agency helping people file for relief under the federal bankruptcy code.

2 users found this answer helpful

Paul Elliot Ross
Paul Elliot Ross
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Shakopee, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I concur with David Kelly, the one thing to add is that if you did a Chapter 13, you could also file a new chapter 13 four years after that previous filing.

I also am a debt relief agency helping people file for relief under the federal bankruptcy code.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.