Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Husband lives in fort lauderdale he divorced me and i did not know how do i get my divorce papers

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather A. Harwell
Heather A. Harwell
  • Wesley Chapel, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Since your husband lives in Fort Lauderdale, I am assuming that he obtained the divorce in Broward County, Florida. First, check on line at the following link:; once you have located your case, save the case number and case name information. Next, call the Broward County Family Law Division Clerk at 954-831-6253 and ask how many pages the Final Judgment with Attachments is and how much it will cost for a copy of the order; if you want a certified copy, ask what the charge for this is as well. Also ask the clerk what forms of payment are accepted and if you can order a copy of the Final Judgment over the telephone. If not, mail a letter to the Broward County Clerk, Attn: Family Law Division, specifically stating the case number, the name of the case, what you are requesting, the amount enclosed for the request. Make sure to enclose a large envelope addressed to you with sufficient postage to accommodate the number of pages of your final judgment with attachments so that the clerk may send the judgment back to you. Additional contact information regarding the Broward County Clerk of Court may be found at

***Ms. Harwell is licensed to practice law in Florida. In accordance with the Justia community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. This communication is provided for the purpose of general informational purposes only. Additional facts and information pertaining to the relevant question above could significantly change this response and make it inapplicable to your personal circumstances. Many attorneys offer free consultations and Ms. Harwell strongly advises that you take advantage of this opportunity to discuss your particular situation in detail and obtain legal advice most suited to your personal situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.